Digital Submission Instructions For Print Advertising
Ad materials are to be supplied as digital files in the preferred PDF/X-1a:2001 format.
To match the color expectations of our advertisers, Emerald Expositions requires the PDF/X-1a:2001 file format and a SWOP proof
for each ad submitted. Advertiser/agency accepts full responsibility for reproduction variations between the digital file and the printed
image for ads submitted in non-preferred formats. Non-adherence to the preferred format may necessitate production fees. Emerald Expositions is not responsible for making corrections to supplied files.
Customer-supplied digital files and SWOP proofs will be retained for up to three months following publication date and then destroyed
unless otherwise requested in writing.
PDF/X-1a:2001 File Preparation
Adherence to the following guidelines in application file preparation will aid in successful file conversion:
- Create ad layouts in a professional desktop publishing program such as Adobe InDesign® or QuarkXPress™.
- Create one PDF/X-1a file per ad or ad page; spread ads must be submitted as two single page files.
- Orientation: Set native application files in portrait mode at 100% with no rotations. Color: Define all colors as CMYK process. Unintended spot color and or Pantone colors must be converted to CMYK process. RGB, LAB and ICC based colors are not allowed. Black & white images should be saved as single channel black only before placing them into the page. Nested grayscale or nested single channel black may become 4/C when printed. Delete any unused colors.
- Images: Must be high resolution SWOP-compliant with a resolution of 300dpi for CMYK and 1200dpi for black & white images. OPI selections should be turned off. Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files. Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no embedded color management profiles.
- Total area ink density for color images should not exceed SWOP standard of 300%.
- All ads must be created to trim specification with crops (printer marks) set at trim dimensions placed 12 pts outside the bleed area. Bleed must extend 1/8″ beyond trim. Keep live matter a minimum of 3/8″ from trim edge.
- Type: Fonts must be embedded. Use Postscript Type 1, Open Type or TrueType fonts only. Text containing thin lines, serifs or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Layers within any Adobe application file must be flattened. Opacity — all objects, artwork or effects in the document should be set at a maximum of 99 percent before flattening layers.
- Generation of acceptable PDF/X-1a:2001 files is done by the output of a Postscript file (.ps) which is then distilled through Adobe Acrobat Distiller using the PDF/X-1a setting to avoid font, transparency and layering issues. It is recommended that the PDF file be certified PDF/X-1a:2001 using a PDF preflight utility like Adobe Acrobat Professional (version 6 or higher) or Enfocus PitStop. For expanded, program specific instructions, please visit:www.rrdonnelley.com/prepress/MagazineDSC/Pontiac/PontiacDSC.asp.
A SWOP certified proof is required for all color ads. Proofs must be representative of the supplied file at actual size and display a
printer’s color control bar. Alternative proofing formats will be used for content only. Visit www.swop.org for a complete list of
current certified proofing options. When calling for spot color (Pantone) usage on press, clearly indicate such on the supplied
For More information
E-mailed ad submissions are NOT acceptable. For more information regarding these specifications or shipping address, contact Terri Hill, Group Production Director at 770.291.5481 or firstname.lastname@example.org